Friday, July 15, 2005

On Hearing as a Gift



Lupines, Credit: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (public domain)

I lost some of my hearing several years ago following a prolonged infection. In the past week, there were two situations -- one in a classroom and one on a recreational outing -- that reminded me that I need to be vigilant about carrying ear protection to prevent further damage. In one situation I had my muffs. In another, I did not even have my tiny foam plugs. Even a tiny adaptation like this can make one look awry or neurotic. But it physically hurts; my threshold for disturbing sounds is lower. The pain is the body's early warning system.

Our society is filled with noise--not just sound. Many buildings are not built with an ear toward the cumulative effects of sounds once humans are inside tapping and talking...or outside drilling... Tinnitus almost always is accompanied by hearing loss. Hearing loss at any age does change one. A possible way that people lose hearing is when (some) airbags deploy (at 160 decibels). Yes, one is relieved to survive an accident. However, there is also the fallout . . . living while having a radio in one's head sending relentless static. Some people become sleep deprived, depressed, even (yes) suicidal.

A wonderful researcher with decades of experience named Jack Vernon talked to me when I was struggling, at length, by phone when my hearing loss surfaced in 2001 and once thereafter when I needed a series of (very, very noisy) MRIs. He was both reassuring and realistic. His clinic on the West Coast attracted thousands of people before he retired and he remains active in outreach to people with tinnitus. He has written many scholarly articles.

Prevention: If the music around you is too loud: ask someone gently to turn it down. Carry earplugs at all times. Enjoy beautiful sounds. Breathe when any disturbing condition is at its worst, but don't try to go into zoned-out meditation states. Find a friend who cares and understands. Don't give up. If you have tinnitus and you notice that certain medications or foods seem to make it worse, write them down. Medical science may some day find a cure and even a way for human hair cells (which are destroyed, causing hearing loss) -- and better yet -- greater public awareness to reduce future loss in kids and teenagers. At any age: If you have an ear or sinus infection that drags on for six weeks, don't rely on your primary care doctor. Head right for the specialist. I had a bilateral eardrum rupture also. I thought it was serious but my doctor thought I was overacting. If this happens to you, see a specialist. You are the one who has to protect your hearing for a lifetime.

2 Comments:

At 11:47 AM , Blogger Stidmama said...

I have tinnitus and the opposite of hearing loss -- a sort of hyperacuity -- so that sounds that other people don't notice hurt my ears. I can hear the worms coming up through the soil when I am working in my garden. When a bee gets caught inside, I take it out as much to stop the buzzing as to be friendly. When I concentrate, I can generally sort out bird songs far off from the radio or TV in the room with me! But the downside is that the sound of small children is distressing, I cannot attend even professional concerts without earplugs, and I am miserable in large, noisy crowds...

I am glad that you and others are working on things that will help others with this rarely-discussed problem.

 
At 11:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting that you can hear so acutely. I am sensitive to jarring sounds but my ears are no longer "balanced." My analogy is that it's like two speakers of uneven amplitude. One doesn't know what one has till it's diminished . . . however, one cherishes what is left . . .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home