Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Another Loss


Rainbow Over Pelican Island. Photographer: George Gentry, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (public domain)

Another former student, Shirley, has died unexpectedly. Just six weeks ago, I had spoken with her at another writing student's funeral and thought: "This is a relationship worth rekindling." I borrowed Shirley's pen to edit the long remarks I had prepared for Paula's funeral, not thinking to carry a pen myself and vastly underestimating the size of the circle prepared to speak.

Although Shirley had not been in writing class for a while, I remember the skill with which she wrote and that she brought her whole heart to writing. She was willing to look at her early life; not everyone will, especially if it was a time of pain.

I knew that her current creative life included painting and singing beautifully, and the issue was one of time. She had so much talent. I remember learning that her husband (now deceased) had been ill for some time, and I further admired the power of her creativity, even with family responsibilities.

I felt the comfort of her presence at Paula's funeral and also vividly remember Shirley's presence in writing class. She was a great listener and participant. She was young beyond her years, spontaneous, quick to cry and laugh alike. No pretense.

Shirley was a devoted grandma and a far more organized person than I am. When my son was in early elementary and giving a class performance as "Thomas Edison," I (typically) forgot a camera. Shirley was sitting next to me and made a point of taking not just one, but two shots of him in this role.

When I encountered a problem with my hearing and an infection in 2001, I can count on one hand the number of people I folded in who I felt really, really understood. Shirley had a similar battle a year or two before, so I consulted her. It helped to know that she kept going, that she even kept singing with hearing issues.

I was privileged to be on the periphery of her life. From her example I will remember the beauty of emotions expressed, art and music revealed, and love personified.

I grieve her passing and wish her children, grandchildren, and whole circle strength at this sad time.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM , Blogger Stidmama said...

I am sorry for the loss of yet another friend in your life. But glad that you had a chance to renew your acquaintance before she died, and that you have good memories to keep alive...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home